Dons Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dons Sports Forum

Sports Forum for the Acalanes Blueprint

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Basketball Article

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulW
Admin
PaulW

Basketball Article Empty
PostSubject: Basketball Article   Basketball Article Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 8:15 am

Again, this is a draft and is not perfect:

Gone to the Game

The sun set behind the hills as the crowds mounted in the frount quad to load up the busses en route to Cal State East Bay. If one were to travel through Lafayette you would expect to see “gone to the game” signs up throughout the businesses. The sixth man shirts were passed out, the face paint was applied, and the players began to trickle in. In caravan fashion, hundreds of student and parent fans shipped out to go witness Acalanes win their first NCS title since 1980.

“It was a little different you know because it was our first time in the NCS championship. It was exciting, I was very anxious and I couldn’t wait,” said Jordan Fillmore about the new high stakes environment.

In an attempt to describe waht it was like to witness the sea of blue in the Hayward gym, sophomore Katie Bruzzone could find no words but amazing.

“The whole [Acalanes] student section took up like half the gym. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced in my life. It was so insane- you cant even begin to understand. Everyone there was wearing their sixth man shirt with like sparkles and war paint. It was so amazing-it was just the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced in my life,” said Bruzzone.

The gym began to fill, plagued by hundreds of sixth men. Blue glitter sparkled throughout the Dons’ student section who never left their feet the entire game and despite the controversial entrance issues, the crowd could be called a sellout.

Finally, in undescribable excitement, the opening wistle blew and history was in the making against the Bishop O’Dowd Dragons. Acalanes, like always, won the tip, yet despite expectations, the first quarter remained relatively low scoring, and highlighted by defense, leading to an 8-7 Acalanes lead.

However, paced by Junior Joey Anderson, who played some 40 minutes in another universe, Acalanes paced themselves to a 22 point quarter, while still limiting O’Dowd to eleven. Fillmore, who earned echoing MVP chants all night, led the solid defense, swatting six shots in the first half alone. AS a team, Acalanes held O’dowd scoreless for 6:30 in the second quarter, and forced a total of nineteen turnovers.

“I felt if we played defense the way we played defense, then we would definitely come out on top. Our defense was definitely a key to the game,” said head coach Russ Scheibley.

Despite being run down by foul trouble, Acalanes continued their pressure defense, and run-n-gun offense leading to a halftime score of 30-18. From the opening whistle on, it was clear Acalanes wanted it more. They out-hustled, out-rebounded, outscored, and outplayed the Dragons the majority of the game, and their lead showed it.

The Dons ability to mesh the different stlyes of play into one dominant team showed their family mentaility and overall team game in impressive fashion. Upon fouling out, and backed by a standing ovation, Junior Brooks Baker hugged each of the remaing starters, passing the torch and entrusting his teammates to finish the game.

After a three pointer by Junior Brian Perkins, Acalanes pushed their lead to fourteen. Yet the Dragons showed their fight, and finally began to find an offensive flow. After an open court jam from O’Dowd standout Shawn Lewis, followed by another straightaway three, Acalanes found themsleves barely leading by a score of 41-35.

Yet the Dons woke up and didnt let O’Dowd get any closer. After a few chants from the crowds, suprisingely led by Principle Nickerson, Anderson immediatley scored on a putback, and senior Joe McGlynn buried one of his three 3-pointers.

With five minutes left, the excitement was seen on the fans, the bench, Coach Scheibley, and the players on the court. Acalanes closed out the game in fashion, on a 10-0 run, and the championship game came to a fitting end with a final score of 60-43. Fillmore finished with a timid thirteen points, yet an outstanding fifteen blocks and nine blocks. On a game high note, Joey Anderson steppped up with his best game, scoring 22 points and pulling down eleven boards.

Boasting the chanmpioship plaque, with gold medals wrapped around their necks and number one signs thrown in the air, Fillmore, as well as fellow leading seniors, McGlynn, and Joey Wallace were awarded with their greatest honor of their career thus far.
“You win championships with seniors, and we won a championship,” said coach Scheibley.
The excitement was tangible in the air of the crowded gym. Smiles across all players and fans lit up the arena.

Immediately after the victory Fillmore commented on what it feels like saying, “Its feels amazing to win. I can’t even explain it right now. I don’t know, I’m just on cloud nine right now. “

The night came to a definite fitting end with cameras flashing, interview tapes rolling, and devastated looks sprawling across the O’Dowd benches. With another exhibit of the leadership abilities of all three seniors, Aclanes was ready to roll into the Nor Cal playoffs.
“Next for us is to take state. We have to take it one game at a time and get back into the gym on Monday, work hard, and get better,” said Fillmore.
Back to top Go down
https://blueprintsports.board-directory.net

Basketball Article
Page 1 of 1